Super DC - The Uncollected Text Adventures : Super DC #6 "Superman v. Highwayman"
Profiles in this issue include Robert Wagner andbhis star turn in It Takes A Thief, balance artist Johnny Piercello, and TV presenter Leslie Crowther. A two-page feature covers the filming of airborne fight scenes in 1969's "Battle of Britain." There's a packed letter column with Peter Bryant of Hunstanton declaring Jimmy Olsen his personal hero, Brian Jones of Hulme suggesting that Super DC invent its own superheroes, and Michael Marwick of Standish begging for color interiors.
Batman and Robin's text adventure in this issue begins with the apparently-murdered Dynamic Duo's funeral, in Batman R.I.P. If you would truly like to honot the passing of the Dark Knight Detective, I've included the "Colour Batman" competition feature from this issue. Color him expired! There's up to twenty-four Airfix kits in it for you!
The following adventures are reprinted in Super DC #6:
Superman's New Face Action Comics #239 (April 1958)
Lois Lane's Secret Romance! Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane #14 (January 1960)
The Human Skyscraper Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #28 (April 1958)
The Negative Batman Detective Comics #284 (October 1960)
The Youth Who Was Braver Than Superboy! Superboy #132 (September 1966)
This Issue's Text Adventure:
You might have noticed that the Daily Planet is frequently referred to in the pages of Super DC's text adventures as "The Metropolis Planet," which is technically accurate enough, one supposes.
While the episode title suggests a battle between Superman and a mysterious figure known as The Highwayman, nothing like that manifests. Rather, it's familiar Lex Luthor making life hard for Superman by sending Lois Lane back in time.
I would give solid cash money to know for sure what Lois' "angry gestures" were meant to convey. To judge that and her mocking "silvery laugh" when Superman's appearance is made fun of by the titular Highwayman, Lois really has an attitude on her.
And now, Superman v. Highwayman ...
* * *
Perry White, editor of the Metropolis Planet, slammed đown the telephone and hot- footed for the newsroom. "Kent!" he yelled. The tall, mild-mannered reporter looked up from his typewriter.
"Yes, chief?"
"It's Lois; she's been kidnapped! I've just had a call demanding 10,000 dollars ransom and -- where do you think you're going?"
"On the story," said Clark Kent from the doorway.
He hurried from the Planet building, snatched off his glasses and turned into a nearby alley. It was the work of a moment to switch to his role as Superman. He shot into the air and zoomed away over the tall city build- ings towards the block in which his colleague had her apartment.
At that moment the pretty girl reporter was sitting upon a strange, silvery, throne-like chair in an underground laboratory in Metropolis. Facing her was a mass of intricate electronic machinery with winking lights and pulsing meters. A thick-set man hovered over the control panel, chuckling. This was Lex Luthor, bald criminal scientist.
"See my dear?" crooned Luthor, pointing to a television screen above his instruments. Across the screen flashed the figure of Superman. It was obvious that he was searching frantically.
"Superman is very fond of you, Miss Lane," he jeered. "He would do anything to save you. So I'm going to use my time machine to project you back into history. Your gallant Superman will learn about it and hasten to follow you ... leaving the coast clear for me to clean out a few well-lined pockets in this rich city!"
Lois Lane's eyes flashed fire. She made an angry gesture, then bit her lips with pain as the metal clasps which held her in the chair cut into her wrists. "You're mad, Luthor!" she blazed. "What makes you think you can hide from Superman down here? Don't you know he has X-ray vision?"
The other ran a hand over his bald head and smiled. "Oh yes, Miss Lane. I also know that his super-vision cannot penetrate lead. That's why I had this laboratory lined with lead!"
Lois leaned back, trying to fight the fear which welled up inside. "All right. Go ahead. Pull your little switches," she said defiantly. "You don't expect me to believe you can really project anyone back through time?"
Luthor came over and began to fasten a belt, bristling with wires, around her head. "Patience, my dear," he chuckled. "In a few moments you may be covering the greatest story of your career! I can just see the sort of headlines now - Girl reporter tells of exclusive interview with Guy Fawkes! How does it sound?"
A scornful look was his only answer. Luthor stepped away to his control board. He laid a fat hand on a dial. "I can't promise that you will arrive at the precise moment of the gunpowder plot," he sneered. "But let me know if you're not satisfied. Good-bye, Miss Lane!"
He twisted the dial. A weird hum arose from the control panel. An electric glow from the time-travel chair surrounded the struggling figure of the girl, then slowly it faded-and the chair was empty! Lex Luthor rubbed his hands. "Good!" he crowed. "And now to let Superman know where his lady-friend had gone."
He turned back to his instruments. In a moment his television screen picked up the figure of Superman, high above the skyscrapers, searching. Luthor took a reading from his dials. Then, satisfied, he pulled a switch.
The rocket launched by Lex Luthor flashed towards Superman, whose super-hearing warned him of its approach. Deftly he moved to one side and grabbed the rocket with hands of steel. His first thought was to launch himself into outer space where the missile could explode without danger. But then Superman saw that the rocket carried no explosive charge.
"It's a message," he exclaimed, twisting the cap from the nose of the rocket. He removed a rolled-up piece of paper and read, "Lois Lane has been projected back to the year 1605 in England. Good hunting, Superman. But you can only bring her back if she is willing to come. I have arranged it like that to make your mission more interesting.'
With the words of this strange message ringing in his brain, Superman rocketed downwards. "It could be a trick," he thought. "But I can't ignore the message. It will not take me long to break through the time barrier and find whether Lois is the victim of some fantastic plot."
For a moment or two he hovered, summoning his reserves of speed and power. Then, closing his eyes and concentrating upon the year 1605, he vanished in a blur of unbelievable speed.
When he opened his eyes again, Superman saw a lonely road below and felt the clammy touch of drizzle falling. "I seem to be flying over some sort of wild, open pasture land," he mused. "But it's not far from the city of London, for I can see the spire of St Paul's in the distance. I'd better head for the city, I suppose."
But as he turned to fly towards London he spotted a coach approaching along the road. It was drawn by two horses, and the coachman was sitting erect, whip in hand. Then Superman saw something else – a man in a cocked hat and black cape, sitting on horseback behind a large tree and obviously awaiting the passing of the coach.
"A highwayman!" gasped Superman. "This must be Hampstead Heath. That was a favourite haunt of highwaymen in the 17th century."
A moment later something happened which drove all thought of the highwayman from Superman's mind. For as the coach passed beneath him, he spotted a girl's face through the window. "Lois!" cried Superman. "By all that's lucky, I've found her at the first attempt."
He dropped to the road in front of the coach and held up a hand. The coachman reined in the horses and snatched up a musket, "A highwayman!" he cried. "Get away, or I shall blow your brains out!"
Superman took a step towards him and gave a reassuring smile. "I'm not a highwayman. I mean you no harm," he said. "I just want to talk to the lady in the coach."
The coachman raised his weapon. "I have no lady in the coach," he cried. "I have just delivered my mistress to her country house and am returning to London alone."
"I think you are mistaken," said Superman. He took a step towards the door of the coach. BANG! The musket went off with a roar. It was a point-blank shot-but the Man of Steel took no notice. The coachman gaped, unbelievingly.
As Superman opened the door of the coach, Lois sprang out, pushing him away. "Take your hands off me, you villain!" she cried. She was dressed, very becomingly, in a rich brocade gown with a warm cape and bonnet.
The bewildered coachman stared from one to the other. "You should be dead ... and you shouldn't be in my coach! There was nobody in my coach when I started off," he dithered.
Superman looked into Lois's angry face. "Lois! Don't you remember? I'm Superman. I'm here to take you back across the time barrier ... back home to Metropolis."
She tossed her head. "You are mad, sir! Go away."
Before Superman could speak again, there was a rattle of hooves. He looked round to find the highwayman standing over him. The man was handsome and carried himself with an air of bravado that obviously appealed to Mistress Lois Lane.
"Oh, sir! Thank heaven you have come to my rescue," she cried, "This common fellow in the garish rags is a highwayman."
"Indeed! Then I have arrived at a very opportune moment," boomed the horseman, whipping out a pistol and holding it against Superman's head. "Now, you dog! Do you want a bullet in your brain?" he said.
Superman hesitated. He thought, "Whoever projected Lois back to this period in history has programmed her brain to make her believe she belongs in it. I'd better wait for a more opportune moment than this."
He turned and began to walk away. The highwayman jeered after him, "Why don't you apply to be the king's jester? All you need with that foolish costume is a hat with bells on!"
The silvery laugh of Lois Lane followed Superman. When he was out of sight, he rose into the air and sped towards London. "The first thing is to get myself some less conspicuous clothes," he thought. "Since Lois does not remember my costume, I must look for an opportunity to try and shock her into recognising me."
His chance was to come sooner than he thought. In the borrowed dress of a city merchant – strong fustian cloth, buckled shoes and cocked hat – Superman was following Lois Lane as she minced through the streets of London with her gallant, the highwayman from the heath.
Following them at a safe distance among the crowds, Superman's super- hearing enabled him to overhear her remarks. "Dear Hector," cooed Lois. "I am so excited at the prospect of seeing the king. What is the occasion for his visit to London docks?"
"Why, the king is going aboard a new four-masted barque, just commissioned for the Navy," replied Hector.
Superman saw the masts of the great ship as he followed the crowds through the gates of the dockyard. "Here is my chance for a little shock treatment," he said to himself. He forced his way to the edge of the quay, which was lined with soldiers. One of them pushed him back.
Superman turned towards the crowd. "Watch me carefully, my friends," he cried, tossing his cap in the air. Before the soldiers could stop him, Superman dived into the water near the prow of the ship.
Suddenly the four-master began to rise out of the water. Up, up, up she floated into the air. The crowd gasped and women shrieked. Then at last all could see that the "merchant" was holding the great ship in his two hands and carrying it aloft!
Lois Lane clung to her gallant's arm in great affright. "Is he a sorcerer?" she asked.
Hector gaped. "I know not," he replied. "But yet he is indeed a superman."
A dazed look came into Lois's eyes. She let go of the highwayman's arm and began to push through the crowd. "Superman!" she cried. "Superman, it's me – Lois!"
Superman answered her with a glad cry.
Gently he set the new ship back on the water. The soldiers rushed at him as he stepped on to the quayside. But Superman brushed past them and took Lois by the hand. "Hold me tightly, Lois. Close your eyes. And trust me!" he whispered.
Lois opened her eyes again to find herself lying on her own bed in Metropolis. She looked up and smiled at Superman, "I knew you'd rescue me from Lex Luthor's laboratory," she murmured drowsily. "He must have drugged me because I've had such a foolish dream about a highwayman ... ",
Her voice trailed off. Superman looked down at the sleeping girl. He smiled. "You'll be all right when you wake up, Lois. I must be off to deal with Lex Luthor. My super intuition tells me that I can catch him red-handed inside the National Bank vaults. And verily I shall teach him not to play such tricks with time again."
And Superman dived out through the window and zoomed away.
* * The End * *


Comments
Post a Comment